The new American dream is to get by. Americans work to have a job to be able to afford having a job. Keeping a job costs money. Just to hold on to a job you need a car, gas, clothes, food, and other essentials. People can’t afford getting sick, a visit to the emergency for something as simple as a sprain ankle will cost over 2 thousand dollars. At the end of the day, at the end of the shift, and at the end of the pay check very little is left over after living expenses, credit cards, student loans, taxes, fees, surcharges, and everything else is paid off. The American dream has been deferred, the new American dream is to survive and get by.
I recently saw a comic by Joel Pett that made me realize that the climate change debate is more about money, marketing, and control that it is about the climate. The comic depicted a lecture on climate where the presenter (possibly Al Gore) had a slide with a few bullets; Energy Independence, Preserve Rain forests, Sustainability, Green Jobs, Livable Cities, Healthy Children, etc, etc. At the same time, a guy in the back of the lecture hall says, “What if it’s a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?”
So what’s wrong with the above comic? It’s troll propaganda. Most people have have issues with how the current climate change debate is framed are not concern about creating a better world for nothing. I believe the better question is “What if it’s a big hoax and we create a better world for whom and for how much?” I also have issues with the bullet points in the slide. I would have changed them to Carbon Cap, Consumption Tax, CRV Fee, Force Relocation, etc, etc.
Take green jobs for example. It’s been recently reported that a $500 million green job program run by the government has been mostly a failure, with only about 15% of participants landing jobs. Another half a billion dollar failure in the green job sector has been Solyndra. After receiving over $500 million loan from the federal government Solyndra still went bankrupt.
Climate change is normal planetary and geological evolution, just like continental drift, but certainly pollution and high emissions don’t have not helped to maintain the climate at which humans prefer. But having lived through the financial mismanagement in part both by the government and the financial institutions that are paid to manage financial risk, I can assure that any effort or agreement on climate change will not benefit the people.
Here I am reblogging some retweets for the past month that broken down by subject matter. Some of these tweets also cover events that occurred in February 2010. If you like to follow along, befriend xwoop and lolprez and I’ll be sure to follow back.
- Carrie Underwood sounds awful, off key and off tune, sounds like she is yelling. What would Simon say? “Don’t quit your day job.”
- Super Bowl Sunday is a secular holiday.
- Colts touchdown!!!
- Colts touchdown!!! Twitter just down!!!
- Go Daddy #superbowelads so predictable, they are acted and written like bad pron.
- For some today is the Super Bowl, for others the Super Bore, but for most the Brand Bowl.
- Wow. Saints denied. The defensive levees broke.
- Men’s manlyness is attacked in FloTV and Dodge #superbowelads.
- Pinball Wizard? What is a pinball? Who are The Who? How about having an act that has had a hit this century?
- Super Bowl half time show with The When, I mean, The Who… Who are you is a perfect song for them.
- The Who. WHO DAT?
- The Who. I would have asked The Why?
- Saints iTouchdown!!! Now we got a game.
- Colts score to take the lead. Great drive on the third quarter.
- Google gag. What a lousy #superbowlad by Google. They should have made an ad addressing their search censorship and privacy issues.
- Saints TD.
- Saints Miracle Interception!!! Party on Buorbon St.
- Mardi Gras in Miami. The Saints go marching on to a Super Bowl championship.
- The Tea Party is a Democratic National Committee ploy to divide and conquer the Republican Party.
- It I’d said that the Greeks invented democracy, but maybe that is a Greek mythology.
- Democracy or capitalism do not even attempt to close the divide between social classes.
- Obama tries to make a comparison between star athletes’ pay and wall street bonuses, but he forgets we didn’t bailout the MLB or the NFL.
- The end product of hope is disillusion.
- China exports iPods, France exports champagne, Italy exports leather goods, Israel exports Mossad Death Squads.
- In Israel, winning hearts and mind involves ripping open your heart and blowing your mind, literally.
- In Israel, political assassinations are part of the peace process.
- Water boarding: baptism by simulated drowning.
- We should be able to water board our public officials to answer our concerns.
- It seems that University of California prefers out of state/foreign students, they should change their name of University of China.
- The One Government wants to normalize the world’s religion into a single belief.
- It used to be that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, now the squeaky wheel gets replace.
- No one ever gets rich by working hard, they get rich by having others working hard for them.
- Fix it tickets won’t fix the economy.
- Wall Street bonuses are not a way to retain employees, it is a pay off to keep the the wool over the public’s eyes.
- The government website recovery.gov might as well be renamed to propaganda.gov.
- Ma Zhaoxu, China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman, said “There are no dissidents in China.” I guess they must have killed them all.
- Freedom is gained through the bang of revolution and lost through the whimper of torture, oppression, and tyranny in the name of the homeland.
- In the future, we will have vaccines for boredom.
- Curing people of illness and disease is not a profitable and sustainable business model for pharmaceuticals.
- No. 2 Pencil: Instead of learning how to think, students tend to learn how to remember factoids.
- Multiple Choice: Instead of learning the material, students tend to learn how to guess.
- Tiger Woods saying “Elin never hit me that night or any other night” is as true as Bill Clinton saying he didn’t have relations with that woman.
- Tiger Woods sounded like a robot reading his prepared and rehearsed public apology, he probably does it like a robot too.
- Tiger Woods wants to change his name to escape all the attention, he is considering Tiger Morningwood.
- Every single scientific innovation has brought us that much closer to complete and total annihilation.
- There is a thin line between suck and blow.
- Forget 49ers and 76ers, I’m a 69er!
- Sour grapes make bad wine.
- Working on the menial, thinking of the grandeur, dreaming of the eternal.
- When people say they are looking forward to making $$, they really mean looking forward to spending $$.
- There are some parks that walking at night is not a walk on the park.
- I need someone thinking on their toes rather than standing on their head.
- Opportunities are magnetized, you should not fight their polarity.
- Getting mad is like taking one step back.
- Do you earn, find, or hustle success? I bend, flatten, and distribute success.
- What you think and what you know are not the same thing.
- The universe is flexible, so much so that it routinely bends light, time, and space.
- Reality is relative.
- Nature favors survivors.
- Positivity is it’s own reward.
- People are often reactionary, and usually to other people.
- crazy idea + watershed moment + great effort = breakthrough
- Time adds up to more than just a period of time.
- Let time be your ally, don’t fight against time, .
- Being too early is just as bad, if not worse, as being too late.
- Marriage makes a men mediocre.
- Your marriage vowels should not include legalese.
- The reason you can’t buy love is because people want to haggle like they are buying a car.
- The roar of a dandy lion is a whisper in the wind.
- Not all questions are meant to be answered, some are meant to be reflected upon.
- What is unobtainable is no reason to stop trying.
- People say stupid things but what is really stupid is to accept what people day without consideration.
- Next to smoking crack nothing kills more brain cells than going shopping.
- For some bitching is living.
- Feelings are not based on facts.
- OH: John Mayer is so bluesy for someone so pale.
- OH: you a fake ass bitch, fake as gold plates jewelry, fake as cubic zirconium, fake as $20 rolex, fake as imitation crab meat, …
- OH: I’m the DJ to your soundtrack.